I have some beautiful little treasures to show you today! One is a wonderful handmade family heirloom and the other is a fabulous French antique!

ozAnd because this is such a special post, our seldom-seen CEO Ozzie is serving as our co-host today! We are very appreciative since, like Greta Garbo, she usually says I vant to be alone, dahling!

hat 2The first treasure I want to share is my mother’s baby bonnet. Yes…that’s a baby bonnet! It was made for her by my great-grandmother in 1921.

roses It was lovingly handmade of black silk and trimmed with little handmade pink silk rosettes. Aren’t they fabulous?

sleeve There is also a little matching coat with upturned sleeves…wonderful!

colors The color choice may have you puzzled, but I was told that black was a popular color for children in the early 1920s. I think it is interesting that my vintage French spools of thread (a treasured gift from my sweet friend Pat) are in the same colors…black and dusty rose! They must have been very popular in France, too!

spools and tape And now for the French antique! I was very fortunate to have won a 25 euro gift certificate at Fleaing France! Simone combs the French countryside for brocantes …sort of a cross between an antique fair and a flea market…and finds fabulous little French treasures which she offers for sale at her online brocante! You should head over and have a peek! She frequently restocks, so there are new goodies all the time. Her next sale starts today!

tapeAnd this is what I chose…a wonderful antique measuring tape dating from la Belle Époque…the late 1800s.  Isn’t it fabulous? Can see you what it’s shaped like? It’s an acorn! It is made of vegetable ivory…the tagua nut from the ivory-nut palm. It was a vey popular material during the Victorian era because it was as hard as ivory and could be polished to a lovely patina. It was also used to make buttons, umbrella handles and chess pieces. Good…because I am sure it saved quite a few elephants!

spindle The measuring tape is housed in this intricately carved case and is wound around a bone spindle with a little bone pull.  The tape itself is marked in centimeters, although I have seen a nearly identical piece marked in inches. Isn’t it wonderful!  Merci, Simone! I am loving my petit trésor!

threadI have to admit that I am now smitten with antique sewing notions and I am on the hunt to add to my little collection! Help! Another addiction! But…at least these tiny treasures will not take up much space!

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed a little peek at my vintage treasures! Please visit these wonderful bloggers and their beautiful blogs to see what they are up to and to find a list of this week’s participants!
Stephanie Lynn at Under the Table and Dreaming for the Sunday Showcase Party
Sarah at Thrifty Decor Chick for Before and After Monday (first Monday of the month)
Mary at Boogieboard Cottage for Masterpiece Monday
Susan at Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday

Beth at The Stories of A2Z for Tutorials and Tips Tuesday
Linda at Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday

Marty at A Stroll thru Life for Tabletop Tuesday
Anita at Cedar Hill Ranch for Cowgirl Up! on Tuesdays

Kristin at My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for Tuesday's Treasures
Kim at Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays
Judy at DIY by Design for Sizzle into Summer

Gina at The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursdays
Sherry at No Minimalist Here for the Open House Party on Thursdays

Cindy at My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday
Courtney at French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday

Honey at 2805 for Potpourri Friday
Heather and Vanessa at At the Picket Fence for Inspiration Friday
Debra at Common Ground for Vintage Inspiration Friday
Sherry at The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday

Donna at Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special
See you next time! A la prochaine!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top