CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT More Fun with Shirts...A Pumpkin PillowI have been having lots of fun with some shirts in fall colors that I picked up at the thrift store! You may remember that when I made my super-easy no-sew shirt pumpkins, I promised to show you what I did with the rest of the shirts…and here it is…my pumpkin shirt pillow!

CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT No-Sew Shirt PumpkinsAll you really need to make these pumpkins is the sleeves (If you missed them, you can see the tutorial here) so I found myself with some leftover, sleeveless shirts! What to do? Well, if you know me, you already saw my answer coming…make a pillow!  
Here’s how I did it:
First, I cut the backs from each of the three shirts and then cut two of the pieces to serve as the front and back of my pillow cover. I have a 16" pillow form so I cut the two pieces at 17" x 17". I chose the orange stripe as the front and the flannel plaid as the back. I am saving the orange shirt to serve as the pumpkin.

pumpkin
Next, I created the pumpkin cut-out as follows:

1. I printed  pumpkin template above at 8 x 10" size

2. Next, I applied Heat n Bond to an 8 x 10" piece of orange shirt fabric, following the directions on the package. Then I pinned  the pumpkin pattern to the fabric and cut it out…leaving out the stem. Next, I repeated the process on a little piece of  burlap to create the stem.

3. Finally, I applied the two to the front of my pillow cover, once again following the directions on the package.

At this point, you will only add the pumpkin and stem. The leaf, tendrils and segment lines will be added last.

CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT Shirt Pumpkin Pillow Back Then with right sides together, I sewed the front and back together, leaving the bottom open. Then I turned it right side out and pressed it.

CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT More Fun with Shirts...A Pumpkin Pillow Now you are ready to add the pumpkin-y parts and give it a real three dimensional look!
 
1. Using the same method described above for the pumpkin cut-out, create the pumpkin leaf. I used some olive green burlap for this. You could use an enlarged version of the leaf pattern that you find here if you wish. Note…I did not adhere the leaf entirely, but left two edges loose for a more interesting look.

2. Create the tendrils by first coating a length of jute twine with Mod Podge then winding it around something with some dimension such as a permanent marker. Let it dry about 15 minutes and remove the marker at this point or it will stick! Reshape the tendrils and let them finish drying. Once the tendrils have dried, using small stitches, simply tack it in place in several spots.

3. Cut two pieces of just twine to serve as segment lines, coat them thoroughly with Mod Podge  and press them in place. You will see that I tucked one end of the segments under the leaf. You may have to add small amounts of Mod Podge underneath the twine to help them adhere. Let them dry.

CONFESSIONS OF A PLATE ADDICT More Fun with Shirts...A Pumpkin PillowThen I just popped in the pillow form (mine was a $3.00 down form from Goodwill) and simply slip-stitched the pillow closed. Alternately, you could use a zipper closure if you wish for easy removal and storage of the cover.  And here you have it…a pumpkin pillow made from my leftover shirts! I love it! And it was free since I already had everything I needed! Woo hoo!

Jack-O-Lantern Pillow with Interchangeable Faces And just in case you missed it, here’s another project using the same pumpkin template…my Jack-o-lantern pillow with interchangeable faces! It even has a little pocket on the back to store the unused parts! My grandsons love this one! You can find a complete tutorial here.

Isabella And if you are wondering where the staff was for this project, our seamstress, Miss Isabella, seems to have…errrr… fallen asleep on the job! But don’t worry…everyone’s position is secure here…including mine!

Thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoyed a little peek at my pumpkin pillow made from old shirts! Please visit these wonderful bloggers and their beautiful blogs to see what they are up to and to find a list of this week’s participants!
Under the Table and Dreaming for the Sunday Showcase Party , Thrifty Decor Chick for Before and After Monday , Between Naps on the Porch for Metamorphosis Monday , The Stories of A2Z for Tutorials and Tips Tuesday , Coastal Charm for Nifty Thrifty Tuesday , A Stroll thru Life for Inspire Me Tuesday , My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia for Tuesday's Treasures, The Everyday Home for Home{work} Wednesday , Savvy Southern Style for Wow Us Wednesdays , The Shabby Creek Cottage for Transformation Thursdays , No Minimalist Here for the Open House Party on Thursdays , Stone Gable for Tutorials, Tips and Tidbits on Thursdays , My Romantic Home for Show and Tell Friday , French Country Cottage for Feathered Nest Friday , Common Ground for Be Inspired on Fridays , The Charm of Home for Home Sweet Home Friday , Craftberry Bush for the Inspiration Gallery on Friday , Funky Junk Interiors for Saturday Nite Special, Tatertots and Jello for the Link Party Palooza, At the Picket Fence for the Pumpkin Linky Party
See you next time! À la prochaine!
Also find me at…
Facebook Pinterest Twitter Hometalk Subscribe Email

Enter your email to have Plate Addict's blog posts delivered


Delivered by FeedBurner

Follow on Bloglovin

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top